We see nowadays HDDSLR´s (or how I still call them VDSLR´s) which are still-photography Cameras that can shoot HD Video too. What started as a gimmick can already be called a hybrid between video and still photography. Now Zeiss is going the same road; Zeiss is working on a new set of cine geared primes with interchangeable mounts from EOS to PL. Unlike the Zeiss ZE /ZF and compact PL line which is made in Japan, is the new set going to be manufactured in Germany.
Zeiss Canon Mount Compact Prime Highlights. From the Zeiss Pre-announcement.
Dear Cine & Video Colleagues,This is a preannouncement of a new cine lens from Carl Zeiss that will be formally launched at the NAB show in April 2010. The information below is preliminary and subject to minor changes prior to the launch.In response to the high level of interest in using DSLR’s for filmmaking, Carl Zeiss has modified its Compact Prime lenses for use with EF-mount cameras. These new lenses feature a bayonet mount for a direct fit to the EF-mount and do not require any modification of the camera or use of intermediate optics. Since the optics are based on the awarding winning ZEISS SLR lenses, they cover a full 24×36 image format without vignetting. In addition, the lenses feature an interchangeable mount system that can be changed to a PL mount. At any point in the future. This design allows the filmmaker to graduate to any number of existing or future cine cameras and still utilize the same set of lenses. The level of versatility, image quality and value is unprecedented for cine style lenses and brings a professional caliber tool to a wide range of filmmakers.
ZEISS Compact Prime II
- covers a full frame, 24×36 sensor
- lenses will be available in both EF and PL mount versions
- interchangeable mount system allows for easy upgrade
- cine style ergonomics
- manual focus with well damped resistance
- barrel dimensions are identical and lenses feature internal focusing
- each lens weighs between 2.0 - 2.2 pounds
- support bracket is included for additional lens stability
- 300 degree focus rotation
- 14-blade aperture
- geared for standard follow-focus
- calibrated focus scales
- 8 focal lengths available from18mm - 85mm
- estimated list price for a set of 6 lenses is under $20K. Lenses will also be sold in a Custom 3 Lens Set or individually.
- shipping May 2010